- This event has passed.
Behind the Label: The Secrets of Sustainable Wine
May 27, 2021 @ 14:00 - 16:30
2:30-3:30 Panel discussion
3:30-4:30 Informal wine tasting and shopping
Cost £25 per person
What better way to celebrate Biodiversity Day than to go behind the scenes of winemaking and learn about the relationship between biodiversity and the quality of wine. Join us for a panel talk with Leading Ladies in this field:
- Agatha Pereira, Co-Founder of Sustainable Wine Ltd.
- Wendy Outhwaite QC, Co-Founder of Ambriel Sparkling, Sussex
- Nicole Rolet, Principal and Co-Founder at Chêne Bleu, Provence, France
- Moderator and Commentator: Pauline Vicard, Principal of the Areni Global Institute for the Future of Fine Wine
Behind pretty wine labels often lie ugly truths about synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fertilisers, additives and other polluting practices that can poison the environment and affect our health.
This is an opportunity for discriminating consumers to understand some of the solutions emerging that allow them to enjoy fine wine while protecting their well-being as well as planetary health.
The panellists, all considered leaders in sustainable and regenerative agriculture, will share their experiences and help you make more informed choices in your wine purchases. Many consumers are blissfully ignorant; others are lost and confused. This panel aims to set things straight, debunk common myths and give some practical tips to do right by your health, your palate and the planet.
The speakers will also address:
- Similarities and differences between organic, biodynamic, natural, “low-intervention” and “clean” wines, sustainable vs regenerative vs permaculture…
- Which certification logos to look for
- Sulphites—friends or foe?
- Questions to ask when you visit wine shops, restaurants and wineries
They will be moderated and joined by Pauline, who has recently concluded relevant market research in this area.
Following the panel talk there will be a reception featuring the wines from Chêne Bleu and Ambriel and an opportunity to view the remarkable works from the renowned artist Tilo Kaiser.
Please register your interest early as seats are limited due to regulations. We will confirm your place by email.